Sunbury Downs College provides homestay for international students.
The homestay experience is an excellent way for international students to improve their English language, learn more about Australian Culture and to have a supportive environment so students can make the most of their international educational experience.
All our homestay families have to meet DET compliance including ‘Working With Children Checks’ and are visited and monitored by International Student Coordinator.
Before a student is placed with a family the International Student Coordinator (ISC) takes the following steps to ensure that the potential homestay provider, and their family, are ready to welcome a new international student into their home:
- Extensive site visit and completion of the Homestay Site Checklist, including conversations about;
- Why the family are interested in providing homestay accommodation?
- What sort of student might fit in this home based on personal interests and family composition?
- Child Safe Legislation, CCYP Reportable Conduct Scheme obligations and procedures.
- Information contained within the Homestay Provider Resources below
- Checking that all persons over 18 who reside or frequently reside in the home have a valid Working With Children Check
- Contacting referee’s nominated by the homestay provider to determine their suitability for child related work
- Checking that the home has appropriately positioned and maintained smoke alarms
Sunbury Downs College is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young peope by providing a child safe environment where children and young people are safe and feel safe and their voices are heard about decisions that affect their lives. Particular attention will be paid to the cultural safety of Aboriginal children and children from culturally and/or linguistically diversere backgrounds, as well as the safety of children with a disability.
Every person involved in Sunbury Downs College has a responsibility to understand the important and specific role he/she plays individually and collectively to ensure that the well being and safety of all children and young people is the most important of all they do and every decision they make. We ensure that each student feels supported and confident in Australia.
Homestay and Child Safe Provider Resources